- Brief History
Department of Chemistry was one of the 7 founding departments at National University of Mongolia, opening its doors in the fall of 1942. In 1955 the Department of chemistry started its own program for the preparation of a chemist and a chemistry teacher with 12 students. This was the beginning of preparation for higher education of chemicals in Mongolia
In 1993 the Faculty of Chemistry was established independently of the Faculty of Natural Sciences, and in 2014 the Department of chemistry was reorganized and belongs to the Natural Sciences Branches of the School of Sciences.
The Department of Chemistry offers bachelor, master, and doctorate programs in chemistry and chemical education. The bachelor’s program in chemistry was updated in accordance with international standards of professional teachers and the program in chemistry, in 2014.
In 2016, improvement and completion of the bachelor’s program in chemistry were started due to the first version of the Institute of quality assurance of scientific training programs ASIIN.
The mission of the Department of Chemistry is to be a national research Centre that conducts chemistry teaching in all levels and research activities consistent with the international development common orientation and that can contribute the country development significantly.
- Faculty and department stuff
There are currently 21 active faculty members. Of these, 4 professors, 2 emeriti faculty, 7 Associate Professors, 7 senior lecturers and 1 lecturer. They include 2 men and 19 women.
The operations, teaching, and research missions are directly supported by 7 Chemistry staff. These include a department secretary and 6 academic and service assistants.
- Undergraduate and graduate students
There are currently over 300 undergraduate students, about 50 masters, and 20 doctoral students.
- Space and infrastructure
The faculty, staff, and department operations are currently housed in 1200 sq. m. of assignable space distributed over 12 training laboratories 9 research laboratories and 4 lecture rooms.